2 1/2 cups chicken, cooked, shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
16 ounces salsa
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pinch of salt
6 − 10 inch flour tortillas
1 cup refried beans
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
Olive oil (for basting)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in chili powder, salsa, and cumin. Stir in shredded chicken. Let cool.
- Grease rimmed 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan. Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon of beans down center of each tortilla. Top with a scant 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. Fold up the bottom, top and sides of tortilla; secure with wooden toothpicks if necessary.
- Place chimichangas in greased baking pan, seam side down. Brush all sides with the oil. Top with cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning every 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.