1 pound large fresh mozzarella balls
15 paper thin slices prosciutto
10 ounces large or cherry heirloom tomatoes (mix of yellow and red)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
6 slices pain rustique bread, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices on the
bias (see note)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot clarified butter (divided)
1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano cheese (see note)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 ounce chiffonade cut basil leaves plus 3 sprigs fresh basil for
2 tablespoons 12-year-old balsamic vinegar
Slice the balls of mozzarella cheese into about 1/2-inch-thick
weighing about 1 1/4 ounces each.
Individually wrap the slices of mozzarella with slices of
prosciutto, making certain to completely cover the cheese.
Place the wrapped mozzarella on parchment paper and refrigerate
until ready to use.
Core tomatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Halve or quarter smaller
heirlooms tomatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Season with kosher
salt and pepper. Let tomatoes rest.
Brush slices of bread on both sides with the 1/4 cup hot clarified
butter and sprinkle both sides liberally with the grated cheese.
Press cheese gently into the bread. Toast in a panini press over
medium-high heat or in a hot sauté pan that has been coated with
clarified butter, turning once, until golden brown and crisp on
each side. This will take 1 to 2 minutes per side. If using a
skillet, cook slices in batches; do not crowd pan.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place remaining 2 tablespoons clarified butter in a hot skillet.
Gently set pieces of wrapped mozzarella in the skillet and sauté 2
minutes per side or until exterior is crisp. Place seared
mozzarella balls on a cookie sheet then transfer to oven. Cook
until cheese starts to melt and is hot, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile toss tomatoes with olive oil, the chiffonade of basil and
To assemble: Mound a spoonful of the tomato salad in the centers of
three large, warmed dinner plates.
Arrange the grilled mozzarella, leaning it against the tomato
salad, around the front and side edges of the plate. Lean two
croutons on the backside of the plates. Place a sprig of basil in
the center of the tomatoes and serve immediately.
Pain rustique has a thick crust similar to Italian bread.
Grana Padano cheese is available specialty food stores.
Parmigiano-Reggiano could be substituted.
- PizzaVino's Caesar Salad with Crunchy Croutons
- Roxie's Chocolate Mint Meringue Cheesecake
- Red Lobster Lemon Basil Snapper
- Panera Bread Roasted Red Pepper Gremolata Spread
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Veronese
- Capital Grille Prosciutto-Wrapped Mozzarella
- Clementine Bakery (LA) Butterscotch Brownies
- Carrabba's Spicy Sausage Lentil Soup
- Starbuck's Blueberry Scones
- Baskin Robbins B.R. Blast®
- Planet Hollywood Thai Shrimp Pasta & Sauce
- El Bulli Restaurant Pollo al Chilindrón
- Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes
- Red Robin Barbecue Chicken Salad
- P.F. Chang's Ginger Chicken with Broccoli (Reduced...
- Ruby Tuesday's White Chicken Chili
- Carabba's Italian Grill Mamma's Pomodoro Tomato Sa...
- P.F. Chang's Orange Peel Chicken
- Guacamole Open Club Sandwich
- Brother Oliver's Navy Bean Soup
- Weight Watchers Chili Parmesan Popcorn Recipe
- ▼ February (21)