3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
2 cups plain, white flour or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
In a large bowl, add the ingredients in the following order:
- Add 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk. Ensure that the milk is at room temperature.
- Then add 2 cups of flour. For a healthier version use whole wheat flour instead of plain white flour.
- Add 1/2 cup of raisins or sultanas.
- Add 1 egg. Ensure that the egg is at room temperature.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda to the mixture.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil.
Mix the ingredients thoroughly till you get a smooth and even texture, one that is not too wet and not too dry. If the mixture is too wet, add a small amount of flour till you achieve the right consistency. And vice versa, add a little milk if the mixture is slightly dry.
Form the dough into a loaf. Place the dough mixture into a suitable oven dish, and bake at 350 degrees F till golden brown. It should take approximately 20 minutes cooking time for the mixture to bake depending on your oven.
Let the Raisin and Walnut Quick Bread cool on a wire rack. Slice and add your favorite toppings - butter or jam if desired.
Source: Master the Art of Bread Making