4 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons buttermilk
Prepared egg wash
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dried fruit, such as sultanas, raisins, currants or diced candied orange or lemon peels
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter to give the mixture a sandy texture.
Pour over the eggs and buttermilk, and stir until incorporated; the dough will be crumbly and look dry. Continue to stir or knead it to form a cohesive dough.
Add the dried fruit, kneading it in the bowl to evenly incorporate it into the dough.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough three-fourths-inch thick. Cut the dough into rounds using a small circular cutter (about 1 1/4 inches in diameter).
Place the scones on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with the prepared egg wash once as they are arranged on the sheets, then once more before they go in the oven.
Bake the scones, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and golden brown, about 18 minutes. Rotate the sheets halfway through baking for even coloring.
Makes about 2 dozen.
Source: L.A. Times
- Domino's Wisconsin 6 Cheese Pizza
- Cherry Cheesecake
- P.F. Chang's Hot and Sour Soup
- Carrabba's Italian Grill Tag Pic Pac
- Stuffed Shells
- Slow Oven Beef Stew
- Red Lobster Batter Fried Shrimp
- Cayenne Café's Citrus Tiramisu
- Red Lobster Country-Fried Flounder
- The Savoy Hotel's Cornish scones
- Starbucks Vanilla Almond Biscotti
- Nopa's Goat Cheese Bread Pudding
- The Good Life Chicken Tikka Masala
- Smitty's Steak Chili and Skillet Corn Bread
- Hostess Cupcakes
- Low Fat Chocolate Cake
- Cracker Barrel Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Chocolate Walnut Fudge
- Imperial's Sticky Toffee Gingerbread
- Market Garden Brewery's Sweet Potato Pie
- Olive Garden Italian Sausage Soup
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Olive Garden Portobello Mushrooms with Mozzarella
- Rib City Grill's Pecan Pie
- The Melting Pot Spinach Artichoke Cheese Fondue
- Hog's Breath Inn's Artichoke Soup
- Cheese Lovers Pizza Squares
- Raisin and Walnut Quick Bread
- Old Spaghetti Factory Garlic Mizithra
- Palazzio's Macaroni and Cheese
- Jeremy's on the Hill Artichoke and Potato Au Grati...
- Black Cat Cupcakes
- Macaroni Grill Chicken Cannelloni
- Spicy Barbecue Wings
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Domino's Cheesy Bread
- Red Lobster Sun-Dried Tomato Tilapia in a Bag
- Magnolias Southern Pimiento Cheese Appetizer
- Burger King French Fries
- McDonald's Shamrock Shake
- Blackberry Swirl Coffeecake Recipe
- Panera Turkey Artichoke Panini
- Coral Tree Café's Vegetable Soup
- LongHorn Steakhouse Grilled Whole Herb Rubbed Beef...
- Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Olive Garden Toasted Ravioli
- House of Bread's Berry Bars
- Napa Valley Grille's Chopped Kale Salad
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Garlic Shrimp Scampi
- Café Roka's Artichoke and Portobello Mushroom Lasa...
- Kuleto's Minestrone Soup
- California Pizza Kitchen Vegetarian Pizza with Egg...
- Savory Slow-Roasted Baked Chicken
- Red Lobster Fresh Tuna Club
- Pan-Fried Rib-Eye Steaks with Shallot-Gorgonzola B...
- Panera Bread's Cool Avocado Soup
- Chaya's Chopped Salad
- Applebee's Triple-Chocolate Meltdown
- Cole's Bacon Potato Salad
- BBQ Meatball
- Olive Garden Grilled Shrimp Caprese
- Lucques' Grilled Cheese With Shallots
- (Easy) Fried Rice
- Houlihan's Baked Potato Soup
- T.G.I. Friday's Sizzling Chicken and Cheese
- T.G.I. Fridays Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- TGI Friday's Brownie Obsession
- Sesame Chicken Wings
- Red Lobster Broiled Dill Salmon
- Harold And Belle Restaurant Jambalaya
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites
- ▼ March (73)
- ► 2012 (104)